Fried Green Tomato BLT

Hey Y'all,

    I hope that everyone had a great weekend.  This weekend I got to work out in the yard and on my urban farm stand.  I will have to do my next post on that because it is one of the coolest gardening tools that I have every invested in.  In the yard I had to take care of some plants that died....but I was able to get them replaced with something that will actually grow in the shade.  I have some interviews lined up this week so I am feeling very confident about those.  The yoga hasn't happened yet but I am working on getting that lined up in to start doing that this weekend. 
    It is going to be the first real hot week in Texas and so I tried to make a very light summer menu this week.  I love to use ingredients that are seasonal in my cooking because they are at the peak of flavor during their growing season.  I love tomatoes!!! For me I can eat them on a piece of white bread toasted with mayo, slice of red juicy tomato and cracked pepper all summer long.  They taste so fresh and are so juicy and cannot get enough of them.  But I had some really great green tomatoes and thought lets fry these up and make a sandwich.  I love this southern version of an American classic. 

Fried Green Tomato BLT Recipe:

8 thick slices of fresh Sourdough Bread (I got HEB bakery)
16 thick slices cooked Bacon 
8 leaves of Butter Lettuce
3 Green Tomatoes
3/4 cup Mayonnaise (I used Hellmans)
4 sprigs of fresh Dill Weed
3 Tbsps. minced fresh Parsley (I used Italian Parsley)
1/2 tsps. cracked Black Pepper
1 cup Flour
2 Tbsps. Slap Your Mama Creole seasoning
2 Eggs
Vegetable Oil
Butter

    Combine the mayo, parsley, dill weed and black pepper in a bowl.  Mix well to combine all the flavors and set aside. Combine the flour and Slap Your Mama seasoning in a bowl and set aside. In a bowl, crack the 2 eggs and whisk together and set aside.  In a skillet cook bacon over medium heat till bacon is crisp and done.  Repeat process till all bacon is cooked. 
    In a skillet, put enough vegetable oil in to cover the bottom of the pan and heat over medium heat. Take the green tomatoes and slice them about a 1/4 inch thick, you should get about 4 slices per tomato. Dip the tomato in the flour mixture and shake off access then dip in the eggs and then dip back in the flour and make sure it is coated.  Place the tomato in the oil and fry for about 3 minutes per side or till golden brown. Repeat the process till all tomatoes are fried and set on paper towel lined plate to let the access oil to drain off. 
    Heat another skillet over medium low heat and make sure it is big enough to hold a slice of the bread.  Butter one side of the bread just enough to coat the bread.  Place the bread butter side down in the skillet to toast the bread for about 3 to 4 minutes till golden brown.  
    To assemble the Fried Green Tomato BLT: Take 2 slices of the toasted bread and put about 1 Tbsp. of the Herb Mayo mixture on each slice and spread around the bread.  Next take 4 strips of bacon and lay on 1 piece of bread. Add 2 tomatoes on top of the bacon and next then 2 pieces of the lettuce on top of the tomatoes. Place the other piece of bread on top of the lettuce and cut in half and serve. 
    This is hands down one of the best sandwiches I have every created. It was one of those meals that no one was talking we were to focused on eating the sandwich!!! It has that great smoky bacon that is crisp and salty.  The tomatoes add that nice crunch and have a great spice level that makes it a little spicy but gives you the heat that is needed in this fresh sandwich. I think the Herbed Mayo really makes this sandwich round out because the herbs give a lightness to the sandwich that is needed to keep it balanced with freshness. I helps cut through the richness of the bacon and fried tomato and gives it a nice crisp flavor. I served this meal with chips like every great sandwich needs. I hope that your family loves this meal as much as my family has enjoyed it. 

Comments

Popular Posts