Crab Cake

Hi Y'all,

    I know that it has been 3 years since my last blog post but I haven't stopped cooking.  I have been wanting to come back to this for awhile but never was able to find the time to really get back to what I love which is cooking.  Things have taken an unexpected turn this year with Covid-19 aka Coronavirus.  I know that we have all been quarantined for weeks and are just starting to get back to our normal lives or I guess the New Normal. I lost my job during this time as I am sure many of you have as well.  I was upset when it happened but I always believe when one door closes another opens.  I have been cooking up a storm and really getting back to what I love.  I have come up with some great new recipes that my family has loved as well as some that were ok and some that were a complete loss. I am making some new commitments to myself through this quarantined.....
    1. Get back to blogging and sharing recipes
    2. Find a Job that can be a lasting career
    3. Learning something new each year so far it is Yoga
    4. Spend more time with Family and Friends

    I hope that you all have found something that you want to change or be better at after all of this.  I am trying to incorporate more seafood into my cooking regimen because that is something I have struggled with in the past. Also, with the prices of meat going up and becoming hard to find, I decided well now is the time to cook more seafood.  The first recipe I am going to be sharing with y'all is my Crab Cake recipe.  What I love about this recipe is that it is more crab than breading.  It annoys me when I get a Crab Cake and it is like where exactly is the crab because all I am  eating is breading.  This Crab Cake is filled with crab and wonderful seasoning that really enhances the crab without making it too spicy. 

Crab Cake Recipe:

1/4 cup minced Red Bell Pepper
1/4 cup minced Green Onion
2 Tbsps. chopped Cilantro
2 Tbsps. Mayonnaise (I used Hellman's)
2 tsps. Dijon Mustard (I used HEB brand)
1 tsp. liquid Crab Boil (I used Louisiana brand)
1/2 tsp. Tabasco Sauce
1/2 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce (I used HEB brand)
1 Egg
1 pound Fresh Lump Carb Meat 
1 1/4 cups fresh Sourdough Bread Crumbs
3 Tbsps. Slap Your Mama Creole Seasoning 
4 tsps. Butter
Lemon Wedges

    Combine the red bell pepper, green onions, cilantro, mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, crab boil, Tabasco sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and egg in a bowl and mix well. Add the crab meat and 1/3 of the bread crumbs and mix gently. Shape by 1/3 cup fulls into 6-8 patties, patties should be 1/4 inch thick and 3 inches in diameter.
    Combine the remaining bread crumbs and Slap Your Mama Creole seasoning in a shallow bowl. Coat the patties with the crumb mixture, gently reshaping while pressing on the crumb mixture. Arrange the crab cakes on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.  Place in the fridge for 45 minutes. 
    Heat the skillet over medium heat until hot. Add 2 tsps. of the butter, swirling the skillet until the butter melts. Add 4 of the patties. Cook for 4 to 6 minutes per side or until golden brown. Remove from heat and place on a heated platter. Repeat the process with the remaining butter and remaining patties. Top with lemon wedges and serve with Tartar or Remoulade Sauce. 
    
    These Crab Cakes were so moist, flavorful, crunchy and full of Crab!!! I love that the flavor from the bell pepper and green onion come through but you don't have it over taking the crab.  The cilantro adds this nice peppery flavor that compliments the crab with the creole seasoning.  The crab is sweet and juicy which helps keep the cake from drying out.  I love adding in the creole seasoning to the bread crumbs that it gives you this nice spicy element that really blends in well with all the other ingredients. I served this meal with a green salad that had lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, mini bell peppers, green onions, bacon bits, cheddar cheese, croutons and Thousand Island dressing.  It is such a great recipe to have in the summer due to the crab being at its peak and it is always so sweet.  I hope that you and your family enjoy this meal as much as mine did.  

Comments

  1. Hello Gray girls. I am a Pastor from Mumbai India. I am glad to stop by your profile on the blogger and the blog post. I am also blessed and feel privileged and honoured to get connected with you as well as know you and about your interest . I have enjoyed your post . I do like Crab curry but this is first time that I am seeing recipe for Crab Cake. Must be delicious. My wife is a very good cook and I definately will give her the recipe for making Crab Cake. I love getting connected with the people of God around the glbe to be encouraged to bring haling to the brokenhearted. I have been in the Pstoral ministry for last 40 yrs in this great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We reach out to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the brokenhearted. We also encourage young and the adults from the west to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have you Gray Girls come to Mumbai to work with us and also learn from my wife recipes for making Indian curries. I am sure you will have al ife changing experience. My email id isL dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede. God's richest blessings on you your family and friends also wishing you a blessed and a Christ centered rest f the year 2020. My name is Diwakar Wankhede

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts