Salad with Roasted Pumpkin Seeds

Hey Y'all,

    I hope that everyone had a wonderful weekend.  It was such a great weekend here in Texas.  We were finally able to get the garden planted.  It has squash, zucchini, okra, peppers, tomatoes and blackberries.  We are going to grow some green beans as well just having to clean out another part of the yard to do it.  To me there is nothing better than growing tomatoes from the garden and eating them straight off the vine.  They are so delicious and nothing in the store will ever taste the same.  I also have herbs growing in pots by the back door.  We have basil, cilantro, chives, rosemary and mint.  It is so easy to grow herbs and it is so much cheaper than buying them every time in the store.  Anyone can grow a garden even if you live in an apartment.  Trust me it will save you money and they will be the best tasting vegetables you will ever eat.  The salad that we make is really simple and delicious.  It doesn't require many ingredients and goes great with anything that you are eating. 
    For the ingredients you will need 2 Romaine Hearts, 2 tomatoes, 1/2 red onion, 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, 5 strips bacon, 1/2 cup Pumpkin seed kernels, salt and pepper.
    First go ahead and wash all of your vegetables.  This way you are not running back and forth to the sink every time.  Pre heat the oven at 350.  Place the pumpkin seed kernels on a baking sheet and season with salt.  Place in the oven for 5 minutes or until they become fragrant.  Take out of oven and set aside.  Chop up your lettuce and tomatoes.  Slice you red onion.  Place those in a large mixing bowl.  Cook the bacon over medium heat in a skillet.  Once bacon is cooked, place on a paper lined plate to drain the grease.  When bacon has cooled, crumble over the salad.  Add the cheese and pumpkin seeds to the salad.  Season with a little bit of salt and pepper.  Toss gently together and serve with your favorite dressing.

    This salad is so light and refreshing!!!!  It is one of the salads that I love to make any time of the year.  You get all those lovely textures throughout every bite.  The salty pumpkin seeds are such a nice addition to the salad.  My dad loves honey mustard dressing, mom loves french dressing and me and my sister love ranch dressing.  So any dressing goes really well with this salad.  Also when putting dressing on a salad I like to drizzle it over top.  Because it seems to be controlled better that way then letting it be just poured in the middle.  This salad we have had with beef, chicken, pork and pasta.  I am sure that it goes well with fish too.  I hope that your family and friends enjoy this as much as mine did.  Next time I am going to bring you my homemade French Fries.  They are delcious and it was my first time making them, even my sister's boyfriend Justin couldn't get enough of them.  Have a great day and see y'all next time.

Comments

Popular Posts